Sunday, September 24, 2006

If aliens came in bug form...


If aliens came in bug form...
Originally uploaded by Chepner.
As I cleared my garden of dead plants, I came across this guy. His attack pose (OK I don't know that it's an attack pose - but it sure made me think twice about getting much closer) is a perfect photograph of the way I have felt all week - attacked. BUT anyway...

Growing up in NW Indiana I can count on one hand how many of these facinating bugs I encountered (how do I know how many I encountered?? Mama Chep would capture them and bring them inside to watch! I also had a walking stick and a tree frog!) I have 2 in my yard alone. (I tried to take a picture of the other one with not much success.)

The Iowa State University Entemology Department website states that Mantis have just started to move into this area. Perfect example is at the baseball game this summer. A co-worker of mine looked up at about 6 on the net and said "Those things are SO noisy" to which I replied "What?" He pointed to the 6 mantis on the net and said "Those bugs. I hear them every night" To which I replied, "I didn't know Praying Mantis made noise" He said, "I thought those were locust."

I stressed to him NOT to grab one. If you didn't know - they have WICKED NASTY spines on their legs.

Anyway - thank goodness last week is over - I am hoping I don't have to take on this pose again next week!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I just love the pictures of this little guy on your Flickr. The colors are so subtle, so absolutely beautiful. Are those lavender plants in the background by any chance?

Jennifer said...

PS Just read your comment at Writermom's -- pulled pork? In the crockpot? Is it a secret recipe, or would you share it?

Yours drooling, Z