June 16 and 17 was the Linn County (Iowa) Relay for Life.
The Relay for Life it is an overnight walk designed to raise money and awareness about cancer. The walk in Linn County was from 7:00pm - 10:00am and over the past 16 years has raised over 2 million dollars for the American Cancer Society.
As you may or may not know I was part of the entertainment committee - helping to get mascots, prizes, and local police and fire departments on site at the event. I also was a participant in the Relay walking approximately 5-6 hours. Some of those hours I was on "Prize Patrol" but 2.25 hours (2:45AM - 5:00AM) was spent walking non-stop.
This year, our event raised $310,ooo - our best event to date and I have many of you to thank.
My goal was $100. Not a large amount, but as my mother pointed out: I'm not good at raising money.
Well the generosity of my Blogger friends proved this to be untrue.
Not only did I reach that $100 goal.....I exceeded it, by raising a total of $195.00!! *Second highest on my team I might add*
BIG THANKS go out to my supporters...thank you ALL for your donation to the fight against cancer.
WriterMom (the most supportive friend a girl could have)
Jack (son of WriterMom and the coolest kid I know)
Zilla (the hippest chic on the block)
Fine Artist (world traveler and incredible artist)
"K"- Sista Chep (my awesome kid sista)
Mama Chep (the lady who made me the girl I am...thanks mom!)
Miss "A" at Hamilton College ($70 from bottles and cans collected over the course of the year)
The event had bands, clowns, magicians...even a Dude looks like a lady contest! One of our team members entered....and I must say was the prettiest man out there!
Thanks again to EVERYONE for their donations and support for the American Cancer Society!
Sunday, June 18, 2006
- 10. He looks like William Shatner.
- 9. He gave me his denim blue eyes.
8. He taught me how to play golf (My ability should not reflect his teaching skills...)
- 7. No one makes a better pancake!
6. He's a smooth operator
5. He embraces all types of music (yes even RAP...well at least the song "You Can't Touch This")
4. He supported his kids in all their ventures
3. He has the uncanny ability to turn cardboard into a million different objects...such as this dragon!
2. He can "bust a move" better than most!
1. He made me who I am!
- Thanks for everything dad! I miss and love you!
Happy Father's Day!